Today, the 18 meter high portal from 1909 was inaugurated, which has now been moved from ferry berth 7 to a new location between Central Station and the Customs Chamber and which Port of Trelleborg has restored and repainted.
The portal is a well-known silhouette for many. Since 1909, when the King’s link was inaugurated for rail traffic between Trelleborg and Sassnitz, lots of trains and ferries have passed the ancient blue portal in ferry berth 7.
Jan Isaksson, Chairman of Port of Trelleborg, gave the inaugural speech and told about the old ferry portal that has been involved in many historical events where Trelleborg played a major role as the gateway to the continent.
The weather forecast for the inauguration looked really gloomy with rain and strong winds, but just in time for the inauguration, the sun was shining and about 150 visitors attended, who were also treated to coffee and cinnamon buns.
Thanks to all visitors and for those of you who did not have the opportunity, the portal can now be viewed up close.
(Click to enlarge)